The Lincoln Southwest Boys Soccer Program was established in 2002-2003 upon the opening of Lincoln Southwest High School. Since that time, the program has become one of the premier Class A Soccer Programs in The City of Lincoln, The Heartland Athletic Conference, The State of Nebraska, and The United States. Listed below are the program's honors and achievements over the past 20 Seasons.
General Program Information:
NSAA Classification: A
School District: Lincoln Public Schools
Conference: Heartland Athletic Conference (NE)
LSW Principal: John Matzen
LSW Athletic Administrators: Mark Armstrong (Athletic Director), Brittany Becker (Associate Athletic Director)
LSW Athletic Trainers: Crystal Kjar (Head Trainer), Rebecca Townsend (Associate Trainer)
Head Coach: Derek Scheich (2017-Present)
Program Levels (3): Varsity - Junior Varsity - Reserve
Program Honors & Achievements
Overall Program Record:
215 Wins, 71 Losses (.752 Win%)
NSAA Tournaments (State/Districts)
- 1 NSAA State Tournament Championship (2014)
- 1 NSAA State Tournament Runner-Up (2021)
- 2 NSAA State Tournament Finals Appearances (2014, 2021)
- 4 NSAA State Tournament Semi-Finals Appearances (2009, 2014, 2018, 2021)
- 9 NSAA State Tournament Appearances (2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021)
- 8 NSAA District Championships (2009, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021)
- 2 NSAA District Runner-Ups (2016, 2017)
Heartland Athletic Conference (Regular Season/Conference Tournament)
- 8 Heartland Athletic Conference Regular Season Championships (2008, 2009, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021)
- 2 Heartland Athletic Conference Regular Season Runner-Ups (2010, 2013)
- 3 Heartland Athletic Conference Tournament Championships (2015, 2016, 2018*)
- 3 Heartland Athletic Conference Tournament Runner-Ups (2010, 2013, 2017)
Lincoln Public Schools
- 8 Lincoln Public Schools City Championships (2008, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2021)
- 4 Lincoln Public Schools City Runner-Ups (2010, 2011, 2017, 2019)
Rivalry Trophy Matches
- 1 Silver Hawk - Spartan Community Shield (2021)
- 1 Interstate-80 Challenge Cup (2021)
- Best Team Win-Loss%: 18-1 (95% in 2014)
- Best Team Per Game Scoring: 4.0 Goals/Game (14 Matches in 2007)
- Fewest Goals Allowed: 7 Goals - 0.378 GAA (18 Matches in 2015, 2021**)
- Team Goals Scored in Season: 67 Goals (18 Matches in 2021)
- Clean Sheets in a Season: 13 (18 Matches in 2021)
- Assists in Season: 52 (16 Matches in 2019)
- Consecutive Wins: 17 (2021)
- Consecutive Home Wins: 20 (2014-2015)
- Consecutive Regular Season Wins: 19 (2019-2021)
#15 Max Preps End of Season National Ranking (2014)
#22 United Soccer Coaches End of Season National Ranking (2021)
Individual Player Honors, Recognitions, & Achievements
- 2 Nebraska Boys Soccer Gatorade Player(s) of the Year: (2008, 2020)
- 4 Lincoln Journal Star Boys Prep Soccer Player(s) of the Year: (2014, 2016, 2019, 2021)
- 10 Lincoln Journal Star Boys Prep Soccer Player(s) of the Year Nominees (2014, 2015 - 2, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021 - 3)
- 7 Top Drawer Soccer All-State All-Star Selections (2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019)
- 28 Nebraska Super-State/All-State Selections (w/ 2 Honorary Captains)
- 35 Nebraska Class A All-State Honorable Mention Selections
- 69 Heartland Athletic Conference All-Conference Selections
- 80 Lincoln Journal Star All-City Selections (w/ 5 Honorary Captains)
- 4 NCAA Division I Signings (2008, 2010, 2019, 2020)
Individual Player Records (Single-Season & Career)
- Goals Scored in Single-Season: Isaiah Shaddick (20 Goals - 2019)
- Goals Scored in Career: AJ Wiley (49 Goals - 2013-2016)
- Assists in Single-Season: TJ Mulgrue (17 Assists - 2013)
- Assists in Career: Seth Neben (45 Assists - 2005-2008)
- Points in Single-Season: Isaiah Shaddick (51 Total Points - 2019)
- Points in a Career: TJ Mulgrue (96 Total Points - 2010-2013)
- Lowest Goals Against Average in Single-Season: Matt Hamilton (0.40 GAA - 2015)
- Lowest Goals Against Average in Career: Matt Hamilton (0.52 GAA - 2014-2015***)
- Shutouts in Single-Season: Matt Hamilton (12 Shutouts - 2015)
- Shutouts in Career: Samuel Lesoing (26 Shutouts - 2015-2018)
- Single-Season Man of the Match Belt Awards (3 - Braden Lackey/Nolan Fuelberth - 2021)
- Career Man of the Match Belt Awards (4 - Eli Rhodes 2019-2021)
JV/ Reserve - Lincoln Public Schools
- 6 Lincoln Public Schools JV City Championships (2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019)
- 7 Lincoln Public Schools Reserve City Championships (2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2021)
* Final Year of Existence
** Record Matched
*** Minimum 2 Seasons
Above: The LSW Boys Soccer Varsity Team celebrating their 1-0 Win in the NSAA Class A State Soccer Tournament Championship Match over Omaha Westside at Morrison Stadium in 2014.
Above: Each season the LSW Boys Soccer Program Varsity Team competes for 6 Trophies: The Silver-Hawk Spartan Community Shield, The Interstate-80 Challenge Cup, The LPS City Title, The Heartland Athletic Conference Title, The NSAA District Title, and The NSAA State Tournament Trophy. 2021, the team came within a 7th Round Sudden Death Penalty Shootout of claiming all 6 Trophies in one season.
Above: After helping the Lincoln Southwest Boys Soccer Program to City, HAC, and District Championships along with a berth in the NSAA State Tournament, LSW Midfielder Seth Neben was named the 2008 Nebraska Boys Soccer Gatorade Player of the Year. The first in the program's history, he also set the Program Record for Career Assists (45) and earned a Division I Scholarship to University of New Mexico.
Above: Despite the season being voided due to COVID-19, Senior Parker Jeppson was named the 2020 Nebraska Boys Soccer Gatorade Player of the Year based off of previous seasons accolades, academic excellence, and community involvement. Jeppson was the highest scoring Defender in the State during the 2019 Season (8 Goals, 3 Assists) and also maintained a 3.9 GPA. This is the second time in the history of The LSW Boys Soccer Program that a player has taken home the award (click above to read press release).
Below: Highlights from the 4-0 win over Heartland Athletic Conference members, Grand Island Boys Soccer in the 2019 District A-5 Final. Senior Forward Isaiah Shaddick breaks the LSW Single-Season Goals and Points Record. Additionally, Senior Midfielder Luke Monson scores the #1 Goal in LSW Boys Soccer Program history from 2017-2020 with his emphatic left-footed 30-yard wonder strike to cap off the scoring late in the game. This was the program's 7th District Title overall (footage provided by News Channel Nebraska).
Left: After a stellar Senior Season in 2010 where he was named All-State, All-Conference, All-City, and finished 3rd All-Time in Program Points, LSW Midfielder Drew Edmond accepted a Division I Scholarship to Western Illinois University. In doing so he became only the 2nd player in program history at that time to receive such an offer.
Right: Senior Midfielder, TJ Mulgrue sets the Single-Season Program Record for Assists (17) on the way to being named a 2013 1st Team Super-State Selection.
Left: The 2014 LSW Boys Soccer Varsity Team hoists the Championship Trophy after defeating Omaha Westside 1-0 in the Class A State Final.
Right: Senior Midfielder and Captain, Justin Wiley shoots and scores the Game-Winning Goal against Omaha Westside in the 2014 Class A State Final. The Assist was provided by his younger brother, AJ Wiley.
Left: After leading the Program to its first Class A State Championship, Senior MF Justin Wiley was recognized as the 2014 Lincoln Journal Star Boys Prep Soccer Player of the Year, the Program's first.
Right: AJ Wiley sets the Program Record for Career Goals Scored with 49 during the 2016 Season. He would also go on to claim the Program's 2nd Lincoln Journal Star Boys Prep Soccer Player of the Year Award. Additionally he was named 1st-Team Super-State, All-Conference, and All-City. He was also named the Honorary Captain.
Left: LSW Goalkeeper, Matt Hamilton caps a stellar high school career, which included a State Championship in 2014 and 2 All-Nebraska Super-State Selections by setting The LSW Boys Soccer Program Record for Career Goals Against Average (0.52), Single-Season GAA (0.40), and Single-Season Clean Sheets (12) from 2014-2015.
Right: LSW Goalkeeper, Sam Lesoing sets The LSW Boys Soccer Program Record for Career Clean Sheets (26) during his time with the Program from 2016-2018.
Left: Coach Scheich awards the Man of the Match Belt and Game Ball to Senior Forward Isaiah Shaddick after he set a new Program Record for Single-Season Goals Scored (20) and Points (51) in the 2019 District Final.
Right: Isaiah Shaddick is honored at the Lincoln Journal Star Prep Sports Awards as the 2019 LJS Boys Prep Soccer Player of the Year, becoming the third LSW player to be recognized with the honor.
Left: Parker Jeppson signs his 2020 Division I National Letter of Intent for Northern Illinois University, becoming the first Boys player to sign for a Division I school from LSW in 10 years.
Right: Senior Eli Rhodes celebrates in the 2021 NSAA State Tournament Final after hitting a 25yd Free-Kick to tie the match at 2-2 and send it to Overtime with 80 seconds remaining.
Left: Coaches react to Eli Rhodes Free Kick which sends the State Final into OT.
Right: Many LSW Students, Staff, and Parents stated that 2021 Class A State Final was one of the best LSW crowd experiences they've ever witnessed or been a part of, regardless of sport/activity.
Left: Senior Goalkeeper, Nolan Fuelberth signs his Division I Letter of Intent to Northern Illinois University. Fuelberth became the first Goalkeeper from Lincoln to go to a Division I School since 2008.
Right: Nolan Fuelberth is honored as the 2021 LJS Boys Prep Soccer Player of the Year, becoming the 4th LSW player in the last 8 Seasons to be recognized with this prestigious award.
Left: Following a historic 2021 Season, the LSW Boys Soccer Program was ranked the #22 High School Program by the United Soccer Coaches in their final National Poll.